LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: 2 months, 15 – 20hrs/week
INTERNS SUPERVISOR & CONTACT INFORMATION: Director of Field Security
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERNSHIP:
Mercy Corps responsibilities
For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive:
- Space to work in the Mercy Corps Portland office.
- Access to field teams as relates to this research
- Training and guidance from the Director of Field Security. Additional information from Treasury and Insurance unit, Headquarters logistics team in charge of fleet and other relevant HQ support
Intern will remain responsible for:
- Costs associated with travel to/from the office in Portland
- All other costs associated with this internship
See other Related Opportunities
Mercy Corps is an international relief and development NGO active in over 40 countries around the world. The Security team exists to ensure that all Mercy Corps staff are prepared to manage insecure environments. They are responsible for guiding a culture of security awareness and management with is strengthened and institutionalized.
The Fleet Safety and RTA Research intern will work directly with the Security and Safety department and is responsible for collecting data and basic analysis related to Road Traffic Accidents (RTAs) that occur in Mercy Corps field offices. This includes analysis of costs to equipment, health and other losses. It is also to better understand trends in accidents as related to terrain, make/model of vehicles and other pertinent information. The intern will be responsible for reaching out to each country program and collecting the information through email and survey tools, synthesizing learning from the research and reporting which may include making recommendations for policy and practice adjustments. The intern will make a rough, side-by-side comparative analysis of the previous survey in 2014 and finalize a format for future surveys.
The intern will learn basic analysis of field data overlapping with finance, logistics human resources and security. The intern will learn to extract trends and design mitigation measures and policy suggestions to prevent accidents and potentially adapt insurance policies, if needed.
- Data on traffic accidents, fleet overview and financial implications of accidents on 40+ countries.
- Basic analysis showing trends of costs and losses as relates to the make/model and maintenance of the fleet.
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- BA/BS or MA/MS complete or in progress.
- Background in research, with a focus on both qualitative and quantitative aspects.
- Ability to work across multiple teams and sectors
- Strong analytical, writing, and research skills.
- Background study or previous work experience in social or political science, or international development.
- Experience working in governance, policy, environmental conflict mitigation.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to work in excel and draw informed conclusions
Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.