The World Bank is inviting application for a free Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), “The Changing Nature of Work”. It is the only MOOC to explore the 2019 World Development Report (WDR) and workforce of the future.
Workers of the future will need new sets of skills to compete. Recent advances in technology are changing how we live, communicate and do business, disrupting traditional industries and redefining the employee/employer relationship. Thousands of routine and low-skill jobs will be eliminated by automation, A.I. and digital hyper-connectivity.
This course emphasizes the urgency of developing human capital in meeting the challenges of the coming decades. Developing countries will need to take rapid action to invest in their people as innovation continues to accelerate. Some themes include: artificial intelligence, the gig economy, world of work, the future of work, labor market, policy makers, new technologies, digital economy, jobs of the future, machine learning, and labor force.
Participants will learn through Ted-like talks, podcasts, readings, interactive quizzes and scenario based exercises. They will also have an opportunity to share and dialog with peers and experts including practitioners, government officials, academic and private sector. This course will introduce students to forward-thinking approaches that will build the new skill sets required in the 21st Century, including: critical analysis, problem solving, and “soft skills” like teamwork and empathy.
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN?
• Hear from leaders of international organizations and expert practitioners
• Collaborate with thousands of development and policy experts globally
• Build your global development professional network
• Earn a World Bank Group – edX certificate.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN?
• Factors behind the changing nature of work
• Which new sets of skills required for future workforces
• Human Capital Index and its methodology
• Social assistance programs and insurance schemes
• Policy measures available to governments