We encourage outstanding students with a master degree in economics or related fields, such as mathematics, statistics, business administration, accounting, and finance, to apply for admission.
We cooperate with the Central-German Doctoral Program in Economics (CGDE); doctoral degrees are awarded by our local and international partner universities, depending on the individual supervisor.
The following information is required for an application:
- Personal data
- Letter of motivation: Please provide a statement explaining your current goals, career plans and reasons for being interested in the IWH-DPE. Discuss your study plans, your fields of interest and which of the three research departments you are targeting. Your statement should be in English and not exceed 500 words.
- Certificates and transcripts of grades: A transcript from each college or university is required. The degree certificate is not sufficient. The transcript should show courses, grades and degrees received, mentioning rank or distinction if applicable. A translation is required for any transcript in a language other than English or German. If you have not yet finished your current degree, please attach a preliminary grade report (again in English or German).
- GRE: All applicants must upload their General GRE’s test taker’s copy in the online application as well as send it via the testing service. We do not require or accept GRE subject tests. The GRE may not be substituted with the GMAT. GRE scores should not be older than two years. Ask the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to report your test scores using the following DI code: 4051.
- Letters of recommendation: Two letters of recommendation are required from faculty who are able to assess your academic ability and potential.
The following documents may be submitted:
- Writing sample: You should submit a writing sample in English or German, e.g., a paper you have written during your studies.
- Any supplementary information relevant to your application.
Please send your application with indication 2019-01 by February 28, 2019 (24:00 CET) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants who present a detailed and adequate offer by another doctoral programme as well as extraordinarily qualified candidates may ask the IWH-DPE to reach a decision before the deadline.