The Universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow are delighted to announce the launch of joint four-year PhD studentships, for entry in academic year 2019/20. We have 12 scholarships available covering a stipend, tuition fees at Home/EU rates and travel funds.
Each student will spend up to 12 months carrying out a minimum of two taster projects (one at each university) before selecting their main PhD project. Students will participate in a residential symposium during their first year.
Students will be co-supervised by the two institutions, have access to state of the art facilities in both institutions, but will receive their degree from the institution where their lead supervisor is based.
For more information, including a description of available projects and supervisors, follow the links in the theme boxes below.
Applications are invited from outstanding students from any location. International students should note that the difference between Home/EU fees and international fees will be covered by the student.
Application deadline: 5.00pm, Monday 21 January 2019. Interviews will take place in February 2019.
How to apply
- Prospective students should review the list of potential project proposals. Queries regarding eligibility can be directed to the theme leads of either university.
- Applicants should register their details online. Please note that this is not an application to study at the respective universities.
- Unless otherwise stated, applicants may submit applications, via email to email@example.com, up until the application deadline of 5.00pm,Monday 21 January 2019.
Required documentation should be submitted as a combined PDF document using the file name ‘<Theme>, <applicant first name surname>’ (for example: ‘One Health, Phillipa Dean’).
- Two references
- Degree transcripts (translations should be provided if the originals are not in English)
- Evidence of English language proficiency (if relevant)
- Open to home, EU and international students
- 4 years stipend at UKRI rates (estimated to be in the region of £15,000 for 2019/20)
- Annual research support budget of £2,000
- Travel support costs of £1,000
- Tuition fee waiver at Home/EU rates
- Application deadline: 5.00pm, Monday 21 January 2019
About our Universities
The Universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow are research-intensive institutions with a combined population of over 5,000 postgraduate research students.
Our researchers investigate a range of fundamental and applied disciplines, from improving the health of human and animals in the UK and globally to understanding the causes of inequalities, deprivation and marginalisation.
For more information on being a postgraduate student at our Universities visit: