A call for 15 PhD positions (Early Stage Researchers, ESRs) is open within the context of the recently granted European Innovative Training Network project “BestTreat – Building a Gut Microbiome Engineering Toolbox for In-Situ Therapeutic Treatments for Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)”. BestTreat is a high profile consortium of 5 universities, 1 research center, 1 hospital and 7 companies distributed among Germany, Netherlands, Finland, Denmark, Austria, Sweden and China. The collaborative BestTreat network aims to train young researchers in (i) understanding clinical and biological problems linked to NAFLD, (ii) developing technology tailored to solving said problems, and (iii) efficiently translating technology, considering commercial challenges and regulatory aspects.
Career development and international mobility of researchers is a key concept within the MSCA ETN framework. All nodes of the BestTreat network will participate in a thoroughly designed ESR training program that sets emphasis on (i) strengthening cross-disciplinary skills, (ii) combining cutting-edge research training with vision for innovation and commercial exploitation, and (iii) surpassing barriers for knowledge exchange between industry and academia.
- Master’s degree in systems biology, human biology, bioengineering, biochemistry or related field
- Background in computer science, bioinformatics, metabolism and microbiology will be an advantage
Specific Eligibility Criteria on the H2020 Marie Sklodowska Curie programme:
- Early Stage Researcher: At the time of recruitment, the applicants should be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Mobility rule: At the time of recruitment, applicants should not have resided or carried out main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date.
- English language: Applicants must demonstrate that their ability to understand and express themselves in both written and spoken English is sufficiently high.
What we offer:
The successful candidates will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for Early Stage Researchers http://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions. The exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment and is dependent on the country correction factor. The salary includes a living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance. The guaranteed PhD funding is for 36 or 48 months, depending on the country of location. In addition to their individual scientific projects, all fellows will benefit from internships and secondments, a variety of training modules as well as transferable skills courses and active participation in workshops and conferences.
Work locations and Applications:
Description of the 15 fellow’s individual projects can be found below. Complete applications in English should include a CV, certificates, transcripts, a brief statement of research experiences and interests, brief summary of Master’s thesis and the contact details of two possible referees, and should be submitted by email as a single pdf-file directly to the respective ESR supervisor or the website given in the project description. For more information you may contact Assoc. Prof. Gianni Panagiotou.