The Rowan Williams Cambridge Studentship is a new programme established by the Cambridge Trust to support students who face severe barriers in coming to study in Cambridge.
Named after the former Chairman of our Board of Trustees, the Rowan Williams Cambridge Studentship is a full-cost award available to undergraduate and graduate students, covering tuition fees and maintenance, which will, in some instances, also assist with students’ upfront expenses such as travel, visa costs and the immigration health surcharge.
To be eligible, applicants need to:
- hold a conditional offer of admission to the University of Cambridge for any degree;
- be from an area of instability or zone of conflict;
- be, or have been, at risk of discrimination, persecution, suffering, violence or other abuse of their human rights.
Applicants do not need to have Refugee status.
Graduate applicants should
- apply by the Graduate Funding deadline for their chosen course of study, and be offered conditional admission to the University of Cambridge;
- tick the box to apply for funding, and fill in the Cambridge Trust section of the online form stating how they meet the eligibility criteria, as part of their application for admission through the University’s Applicant Portal.
Undergraduate applicants should
apply for admission to the University of Cambridge in the normal way via a UCAS application and by the published deadline;
if offered conditional admission by a Cambridge College, complete an Application for Scholarships for Undergraduate Studies offered by the Cambridge Trust (sent by the College at time of conditional offer) including a Personal Statement of how they meet the eligibility criteria.
Separate application form
The Trust will look at the personal statements of all applicants with conditional offers of admission for undergraduate or postgraduate study from countries that are suffering conflict or are perceived to be unstable. A separate application form on which to apply for the Rowan Williams Studentships, which has been designed to be returned directly to the Trust to assist us in the identification of eligible applicants, will be sent to potential applicants.
The deadline for receipt of this form is 31 January 2019 and when completed, the application form should be returned, by email, to the Cambridge Trust.
The Rowan Williams Cambridge Studentship application form is also available here.
Notes for applicants:
The Rowan Williams Cambridge Studentships are not available for courses offered by the Institute of Continuing Education, premium rate courses offered by the Judge Business School (including MBA, MFin, EMBA etc.) or for courses where the fees are charged at the higher Clinical rate.
You are encouraged to use the Trust’s scholarship search to find all the awards for which you be eligible.
Selection panels will assess applications taking regard of the severity of barriers faced to pursuing higher education at the University of Cambridge.
The Trust will notify successful applicants by the end of May prior to commencement of their course.