Commonwealth Professional Fellowships are for mid-career professionals from low and middle income Commonwealth countries to spend between six weeks and three months at a UK host organisation working in their sector on a programme of professional development.
Funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Commonwealth Professional Fellowships provide talented and motivated professionals with the opportunity to enhance knowledge and skills in their given sector.
These Fellowships are offered under six development themes:
1.Science and technology for development
2.Strengthening health systems and capacity
3.Promoting global prosperity
4.Strengthening global peace, security and governance
5.Strengthening resilience and response to crises
6.Access, inclusion and opportunity
Purpose: To provide professionals with the opportunity to enhance knowledge and skills in their given sector, and to have catalytic effects on their workplaces.
Intended beneficiaries: Mid-career professionals (with five years’ relevant work experience) working in development-related organisations in low and middle income Commonwealth countries.
To be eligible for these fellowships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Have normally at least five years’ relevant work experience in a profession related to the subject of the application, by the proposed start of the fellowship
- Be available to start your fellowship within prescribed dates as stated on the CSC website
- Not have undertaken a Commonwealth Professional Fellowship in the last five years
- Not be seeking to undertake an academic programme of research or study in the UK. Academics are eligible to apply for the scheme, but only to undertake programmes of academic management, not research or courses relevant to their research subject
- You must be available to undertake the Fellowship during the dates set out by the Host organisation. All Fellowships must start between 15 April 2019 and 17 June 2019. You should check exact dates with the prospective Host.
The CSC aims to identify talented individuals who have the potential to make change. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination, and encourage applications from a diverse range of candidates. For further information on the support available to candidates with a disability, see the CSC disability support statement at http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/csc-disability-support-statement
The CSC is committed to administering and managing its scholarships and fellowships in a fair and transparent manner – for more information, see the CSC anti-fraud policy.
Host Programmes for 2019
Information including eligibility criteria for each host programme is available on the following page: Information on Host organisations. Please read the eligibility criteria carefully as applications not matching the stated criteria will not be considered by the Host organisation.
Note that these organisations have not been selected to Host Fellowships – the full application from the Host organisation and the Fellows will be considered together by the Commission.
Terms and conditions and Selection Criteria
How to apply
The closing date for submission of your application is 4pm on Monday 3 December 2018
The closing date for the submission of references is 4pm on Monday 10 December 2018. Your application must include two references by this date, one of which must be from your current employer, otherwise it will be considered ineligible.
Once the closing date for Fellows’ applications and references has passed your application will be shared with the Host organisation you have applied to in order for them to review all applications and select the candidates they wish to put forward to the Commission. The Commission will make the final selections of Host organisation programmes and individual Fellows.
Access to the Online Application System will be available soon.
If you have any queries about Commonwealth Professional Fellowships, please email email@example.com. General enquiries about applying for Commonwealth Scholarships or Fellowships sent to this email address will not be answered; please use the Contact us form instead.