The world is growing like never before, creating opportunity for billions of people. And all this growth requires energy. But as the world demands more energy it also demands that it be produced and delivered in new ways, with fewer emissions. The Sustainable Development Goals clearly recognise the need for sustainable and modern energy for all, all while the world’s demand for energy continues to increase. In BP, we have welcomed the Paris Agreement and have recognised the ambition to limit the temperature rise. We are determined to be a part of the process of bringing about action.
Renewables will play a key role in advancing the energy transition. They are the fastest-growing source of energy today, on course to provide at least 14% of the global energy mix by 2040. Innovative solutions have the potential to disrupt and have an even bigger impact on increasing the share of renewable energy. At BP, we have been in the renewables business for more than 20 years – we’re one of the largest operators among our peers and we’re expanding as we see more opportunities.
BP is proud to support the Lead 2030 Challenge for SDG 7. The Challenge aims to find and support innovative renewable energy solutions with the potential of substantially increasing the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix.
The challenge welcomes solutions from young innovators that:
- Are working to improve current renewable technologies such as solar, wind, and biofuels
- Are exploring new technologies to produce the renewable energy sources of the future
- Are increasing access to and the affordability of renewable energy for all developing countries, in particular the least developed countries.
The winning solution will receive
- A $50,000 grant from BP
- 12 months of mentorship from a team of BP employees and partners. The mentorship team will work to accelerate your solution by assisting with aspects such as:
- Business strategy
- Best practices for data collection
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Product design