Research visits in Sweden up to 12 months
- Application period: 15 October to 12 December 2018, for the academic year 2019/2020.
- About 45 scholarships will be offered.
Included in the scholarship
- SEK 18,000 monthly grant for living expenses for PhD students
- SEK 21,000 monthly grant for living expenses for postdocs and senior researchers
- Travel grant of SEK 5,000
- Membership in the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL)
Apply if you match one of the following categories
The scholarship provides PhD students, postdoctoral and senior researchers with an opportunity to conduct research at Swedish universities. Researchers within all academic disciplines may apply. To qualify you need to belong to one of the following categories:
- PhD student – PhD students/candidates applying for one long-term visit of 6, 9 or 12 months.
- Postdoctoral researcher – Postdoctoral researchers applying for one long-term visit of 6, 9 or 12 months. Holders of a PhD degree, preferably from 2014 or later.
- Senior researcher – Holders of a PhD degree who do not fit into the category of postdoctoral researchers, above, applying for one long-term visit of 6 months maximum.
- Sandwich model – PhD students, postdoctoral and senior researchers applying for a scholarship over several shorter visits. Maximum three research visits per year, over three years. You may apply for the total number of months as specified for each category above (minimum 6 months). Each visit must be minimum 1 month. The scholarship visit(s) must be carried out by the end of 2021.
Available scholarship periods
|Application period/ Can you apply?||PhD students||Postdoctoral researchers||Senior researchers|
|1 September 2019–29 February 2020 (6 months)||yes||yes||yes|
|1 January 2020–30 June 2020 (6 months)||yes||yes||yes|
|1 September 2019–31 May 2020 (9 months)||yes||yes||no|
|1 January 2020–30 September 2020 (9 months)||yes||yes||no|
|1 September 2019–31 August 2020 (12 months)||yes||yes||no|
|1 January 2020–31 December 2020 (12 months)||yes||yes||no|
Please note that it is not possible to postpone the scholarship to the following academic year.
For further information about the aims of the Visby Programme and the scholarship offer, please read our FAQ.
You cannot be granted a scholarship if you:
- have already lived in Sweden for two or more years when the scholarship period begins
- already have a permanent Swedish residence permit
- have a Swedish work permit and are currently employed in Sweden
- apply for a scholarship at the PhD level but are not enrolled in ongoing PhD studies outside of Sweden
- apply for a scholarship at postdoctoral level, but do not hold a PhD degree
- have already been awarded three or more scholarships/grants from SI.