Each year the CoE-HUMAN awards bursaries to high-performing Master’s and Doctoral students and Post-doctoral fellows who wish to do research that falls into one of the CoE’s four thematic or cross-cutting areas:
- Master’s students are funded for two years at R70 000 a year
- Doctoral students are funded for three years at R100 000 a year
- Post-Doctoral Fellows are funded for three years at R200 000 a year
Applications for 2019 are open. The deadline for submission of all applications is Friday 23 November 2018. Application results will be communicated to all applicants by 18 January 2019.
Read the CALL FOR APPLICATIONS and then APPLY ONLINE.
Bursary holders/post-doctoral fellows and their supervisors will sign performance agreements with the CoE, obliging:
- Master’s students to fulfil the requirements for their degree within two years and to have at least one co-authored paper in a peer-reviewed journal accepted for publication;
- Doctoral students to fulfil the requirements for their degrees within three years and to have at least two first-authored papers accepted for publication or published;
- Post-Doctoral Fellows to have at least two first or co-authored papers accepted for publication, in press or published in each year of the three-year fellowship.
Key rules of the bursary and fellowship programme:
- All fellowships, scholarships and bursaries are paid to the institution where you are registered
- The bursaries or fellowships are only available for full-time studies or full-time post-doctoral employment
- A student may hold only one scholarship or bursary from either the NRF or another state-funded organisation at any one time
- When an award is supplemented from a grant holder’s running costs, it can be topped up with a maximum of only R20 000 per annum
- All foreign grant holders (students, fellows or bursars) have to be registered and based at a South African institution
- The maximum age limit for an applicant/nominee is 60 years at the time of application/nomination
Read all the rules in the call for applications document.
For more information, email email@example.com.