A doctoral scholarship will be awarded to an outstanding candidate to undertake research to develop implement and deliver a high-performance Australian rules football training program.
This Industry PhD scholarship, established by La Trobe University in partnership with the Bendigo Pioneers (AFL Academy) based in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia will be awarded to a qualified applicant with a background in exercise conditioning and athlete monitoring.
This research project focuses on evaluating the high-performance training in the AFL Victoria’s academy program with the aim of developing, implementing and leading a high-performance program to promote and optimise player performance. It will contribute to and evaluate the program’s ability to support a competitive high-performance environment for the region’s talented youth Australian rules football players to reach their full athletic potential.
The research project will be based in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, and the PhD candidate will divide their time between AFL Victoria and La Trobe’s Bendigo campus.
Applicants should have a high level of achievement, including a first class honours degree or equivalent and be eligible for accreditation as an Exercise Scientist with Exercise & Sports Science Australia.
Benefits of the scholarship
Benefits of the scholarship include:
- A La Trobe PhD Scholarship for 3.5 years, with a value of $27,082 per annum (2018 rate)
- A fee-relief scholarship (LTU-FFRS) for up to four years for international applicants
- Academic supervision provided by La Trobe
- Industry supervision and mentoring provided by AFL Victoria
- Opportunities to work with AFL Victoria staff, and build professional and community networks in the sector
- Opportunities to work with La Trobe’s outstanding researchers
- Access to La Trobe’s suite of professional development programs.
- First class honours degree in Exercise Science or equivalent
- International applicants: Meet La Trobe’s English language entry requirements
- Accreditation as an Exercise Scientist or equivalent
- Accreditation with Australian Strength and Conditioning Association or equivalent
- Experience in athlete performance monitoring
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this PhD Scholarship in Exercise Sciences, follow these steps:
- Submit an application for the scholarship and PhD candidature by 17 October 2018:
- Follow the instructions on how to apply under Step 3 at latrobe.edu.au/research/future
- In your application, indicate clearly that you wish to be considered for the PhD with An Industry Focus with Bendigo Pioneers
- Please make sure your application is complete and reaches us by 17 October 2018, as we are unable to consider incomplete and/or late applications.
- Note: Successful applicants will work under the supervision of Associate Professor Michael Kingsley, so you don’t need to find a supervisor
- Interview: If your application is successful and you are shortlisted for the scholarship and candidature, you will be invited to an interview with representatives of La Trobe and AFL Victoria.
- Final decision: The final decision will be made based on your application and interview. The successful candidate will be made an offer for candidature and scholarship.
La Trobe will carefully review your application and consider you for this scholarship. We anticipate that shortlisted applicants will be advised of the outcome by 30 November 2018 and that the successful applicant will commence candidature by December 2018.
Applications close on 17 October 2018
Dr Michael Kingsley
Associate Professor in Exercise Physiology
La Trobe Rural Health School
P +61 3 5444 7589