This five-year project supports USAID’s agricultural research and capacity building work under Feed the Future, the U.S. Government’s global hunger and food security initiative. The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) is the UF/IFAS implementing partner in the Livestock Systems Innovation Lab. Our overall aim is to enhance the production, marketing, and consumption of animal-source foods (ASF) in the target countries in order to increase the incomes, livelihoods, nutrition, and health of households, especially those of vulnerable women and children. The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded the University of Florida (UF) Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) funds to establish the Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Livestock Systems and to act as its Management Entity (ME) in October 2015.
|Release date||July 13, 2018|
|Deadline for submission of written questions||July 27, 2018|
|Posting of responses to written questions for Enhance and Alliance proposals||July 30, 2018|
|Deadline for submission of Enhance proposals||August 31, 2018|
|Deadline for submission of Alliance proposals||August 31, 2018|
Types of Projects
This Request for Applications is for two types of additional, complementary projects:
1. Enhance projects: These projects will complement and add value to the existing Livestock Systems Innovation Lab projects in Burkina Faso, Niger, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Nepal and Cambodia.
Eligibility to lead Enhance projects is restricted to lead institutions of existing Innovation Lab for Livestock Systems research projects or other Feed the Future Innovation Labs.
2. Alliance projects: These projects are implemented by the National Agricultural Research Systems in Rwanda (Rwanda Agriculture Board, RAB) and in Nepal (National Agricultural Research Council, NARC) as lead institutions. Focus is on country-specific priority themes defined during the Livestock Systems Innovation Lab’s first Innovation Platform meetings in the respective countries (see Appendix 3), which also align with priorities of the research agency and USAID. Goats are the only livestock species that have been prioritized by USAID Nepal; therefore, the NARC Nepal proposal will need to focus on goats.
Eligibility to lead the Alliance projects is restricted to the Rwanda Agriculture Board and the National Agricultural Research Council, Nepal.
All proposals must be submitted, in English, via the Piestar proposal system. To submit your proposal, create an account at https://rfx.piestar.com/opportunities/livestock. Once you select the type of funding you want to apply for, follow the detailed submission instructions. If you have technical difficulties with your submission, click on “Help” within Piestar Proposals. Please include all appendices with the main technical proposal and attach the budget and (when needed) the completed Subrecipient Financial Questionnaire separately. Any proposals and supporting documents (i.e. budgets, supporting letters, etc.) that are submitted via any other means, including e-mail, will not be reviewed or funded.
E-mail submissions will not be accepted.
Questions or concerns about the technical content or budget were due to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 27 at 11:59 pm U.S. Eastern time, using the subject line “Livestock Systems Innovation Lab RFA.” Answers to the inquiries are posted below. To maintain fairness and competitiveness, the Livestock Systems Innovation Lab is unable to answer any questions received after the above deadline.
Request for Applications (RFA) Documents
Please click on the following links for the RFA and its appendices:
- Enhance-Alliance project RFA
- Appendix 1. Lead institutions of the Livestock Systems Innovation Lab
- Appendix 2. Lead institutions of other Feed the Future Innovation Labs
- Appendix 3. Description of the priorities for the six focal countries
- Appendix 4. Budget template
- Appendix 5. Template for CV
- Appendix 6. Key Personnel
- Appendix 7. Conflict of Interest form
- Appendix 8. Current & Pending Support form
- Appendix 9. Subrecipient Financial Questionnaire
- Appendix 10. Sample Subaward Agreement USAID
- Appendix 11. Sample Invoice Financial Report Template
Funding for these projects is not guaranteed, and it is contingent on allocation of more funding to the Livestock Systems Innovation Lab by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).