What does the Africa of your dreams look like? What hopes and dreams do you have? How do you envision the future?
As an African organization serving Africans, the African Development Bank’s dream is to build today a better future for Africa tomorrow. Our goal is to unlock the potential of Africa’s youth. We envision a continent that is dynamic, prosperous and led by the visionary leadership of its largest demographic asset – the youth.
The Bank recognizes the energy, creativity and innovative thinking that many of our youth bring to the table.
Ahead of our Annual Meetings, that will be held on the theme “Accelerating Africa’s Industrialization”, in Busan, Korea, in May 2018, we have launched a writing competition for young Africans aged 20-29.
All you have to do is write an article (no longer than 1,000 words) on the Africa of your dreams, based on any of the following sub-themes.
- Smart Cities and Urban Development
- The Internet of Things
- Agriculture as a Business
- 4th Industrial Revolution
- ICTs and the video game industry
- Inclusive and sustainable industrial development
- Integrating Africa through Entertainment
- Blockchain and cryptocurrency
- The future of entrepreneurship
- Health innovation
Four winners will receive an all-expense paid trip to attend the Korea event. Winners in each category will also take home a laptop computer, and runners-up will get tablets.
Participants must meet ALL of the below requirements:
- Must be 20 years of age, and legally allowed to travel internationally.
- Must hold a valid passport, or be able to obtain one prior to attending the Annual Meetings.
- Must be a citizen of one of the 54 African countries.
- Must not be older than 29 years old as of May 31, 2018 to enter the Contest;
- Entries must be submitted in English or French (the African Development Bank’s official languages).
o Young Media Practitioners: Must submit an unpublished piece no longer than 1,000 words, related to the contest’s theme.
o Young Contestants: Must submit an essay, article or creative writing piece, no longer than 1,000 words, related to the contest’s theme.
In addition to their submitted pieces, participants will be required to submit a proof of identity – passport, birth certificate or national icard.
Rules & Regulations
1. The contest aims to receive, judge and select 2 winners in each of the categories mentioned in the Requirements.
1.1 The Contest is open to both amateur and professional media, as well as to the general public as long as Requirements are met. Staff of the African Development Bank Group and its Board of Directors and their respective immediate family members including spouses, siblings, children, and grandchildren are not eligible to participate in the contest.
1.2 Four winners will receive an all-expense paid trip to Busan, Korea, to participate in the African Development Bank’s Annual Meetings. The Bank will provide assistance in acquiring a visa and cover travel, accommodation and meals.
1.3 First-place winners (2) will also receive a laptop and a trophy. Runners-up (2) will receive a tablet and a trophy. Winners and runners-up will receive their prizes from the President of the African Development Bank at a key-session during the Annual Meetings.
2. The contest will open on 22 February, 2018 and close at 23:59 GMT on 23 March, 2018. The date on which submissions are received on the African Development Bank Group’s platform will be considered the date of registration in the Contest. As of 16 March, 2018 the platform will not allow new submissions.
2.1. Each participant may submit only one entry that significantly reflects the theme.
3. Participants release the African Development Bank Group, its Board of Directors, or the countries they represent from any liability and responsibility from the opinions, interpretations, and conclusions expressed in their submissions.
3.1 The African Development Bank Group and its Board of Directors shall not be liable for any loss or damage or for any personal injury sustained as a result of taking the prizes or entering into the contest.
4. The African Development Bank Group, its Board of Directors, or the countries they represent do not necessarily agree with the views expressed in any of the submissions.
5. By entering the Contest, Participants guarantee that his or her Submission:
5.1 is original and does not infringe the intellectual-property rights or other statutory or common law rights of any third party; and that the African Development Bank Group’s use and re-use of the Submission will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party, or require any payment to or consent/permission from any third party;
5.2 is unpublished in any other medium in any form in any form, and has not been assigned to any third party which would interfere with or derogate from the rights granted to the African Development Bank Group’s hereunder.
5.3 does not contain any material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the Submission is created;
5.4 does not contain any material that is libelous, defamatory, profane or obscene, as determined by the African Development Bank Group in its sole discretion;
5.5 does not contain any material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
6. By submitting their texts, participants of the Africa of my Dreams Writing Contest must agree to transfer, irreversibly and irrevocably, all intellectual property rights pertaining to their submitted entries to the African Development Bank Group for use in accordance with these Rules and Regulations, with the result that the organizing body and its partners shall utilize and reproduce them at any such time and for any such means as it desires, without any limitations on space, time-frame, language, quantity of copies and quantity of usage, by way of any media, formats and channels which it has approved, provided that the entries are correctly credited to the writer/Contest Participant.
7. The African Development Bank Group is expressly authorized to freely undertake editing of the entries, and may make any cuts, editing and reproduction necessary, including the separate use and reproduction of any individual element included in the entries, such as excerpts, quotes, phrases and paragraphs arranging these elements in any form which it has approved, including in conjunction or in composition with other elements by third parties.
8. The African Development Bank Group agrees to fully credit all Submissions to the The Africa of my Dreams Writing Contestby reference to the name of the Participant whenever his or her Submission is used in accordance to these Rules and Regulations.
9. Submissions will be judged by a committee of 3-5 individuals, selected and formed by the African Development Bank Group. The decisions of the committee will be final and binding, and no discussion will be entered into.
9.1 The Panel will judge Submissions and select Winners based on the following criteria: originality (25%), creativity (25%), use of language (25%), and appropriateness to the theme of the contest (25%).
10. Results will be announced no later than 18 April, 2018 on The Africa of My Dreams Writing Contest page of the African Development Bank website. Winners will be contacted by email and arrangements for the prize will be made privately with each winner.
11. All participants in the Contest automatically authorize the African Development Bank Group to use their image, name, voice and personal details in: photos, posters, films and/or advertising spots and by whichever type of media and promotional material, for the sole purpose of publicizing the results of the Contest.
12. Any participant who attempts to breach the contest’s rules, as laid out in these rules & regulations, and/or who do not meet the requirements will be automatically excluded from the contest.
13. The African Development Bank Group reserves the right to amend these rules and regulations and to suspend or cancel the Contest without prior notice, for reasons of Force Majeure or any other unforeseen reason which is outside of its control, and which would prevent the Contest from taking place as originally planned.
14. By entering the Contest, participants agree to the complete acceptance of the above Rules and Regulations without exception.
15. The organizing body for the Contest is the African Development Bank Group