Application Deadline: March 15, 2018
The Frédéric Bastiat Fellowship is a one-year, competitive fellowship program awarded to graduate students attending master’s, juris doctoral, and doctoral programs in a variety of fields including economics, law, political science, and public policy.
The aim of this fellowship is to introduce students to the Austrian, Virginia, and Bloomington schools of political economy as academic foundations for pursuing contemporary policy analysis. They will explore how this framework is utilized to analyze policy implications of a variety of topics, (such as the Markets and Society, Innovation, Crises, Fiscal Issues, and Regulation) during a series of colloquia where they will interact with Mercatus scholars that work on the cutting edge of policy analysis.
The total award of up to $5,000 includes a stipend and travel and lodging to attend colloquia hosted by the Mercatus Center. Bastiat Fellows are eligible to apply for conference and research support. They can also re-apply to the fellowship each year of their studies.
In order to apply to the Bastiat Fellowship, please click the “Apply Now” button and complete the online application. The online application includes:
- A 1-2 page cover letter explaining:
- Your graduate school career to date,
- A description of your research and your research interests,
- Your familiarity with the scholars and the research that Mercatus scholars engage in, and
- What you hope to get out of the program.
- A current resume/CV
- A few short answer questions
Application Deadline: March 15, 2018.
*Decisions regarding admission into the Frédéric Bastiat Fellowship program are made after the application deadline has passed.
Frédéric Bastiat Fellowship Program Requirements
- Remain enrolled as a degree seeking graduate student throughout their participation in the Frédéric Bastiat Fellowship Program
- Attend and actively participate in all aspects of the scheduled program of events (i.e. the 4 agreed upon weekend colloquia) including meals and organized social activities
- Arrive on time and prepared for each colloquia session having carefully read the assigned reading in advance
- Submit an updated CV or resume quarterly over the course of their participation in the program and on request
Mercatus Center Frédéric Bastiat Fellows are expected to:
- Coordinate their schedules to arrive in the DC metro area before 5pm each Friday for the weekend colloquia, making arrangements with their home institution to cover any responsibilities that might present scheduling conflicts with travel
- Submit expense reimbursements within 15 days of the adjourning session of each colloquium
Mercatus Center Frédéric Bastiat Fellows are encouraged to:
- Build relationships with Mercatus Center scholars
- Build relationships with other program participants
If you have any questions, please email BastiatFellowship@mercatus.gmu.edu.