The aim of these fellowships is to introduce students to and encourage them to critically engage key thinkers in political economy that they might not otherwise encounter during their graduate studies. As such, Smith Fellows spend three weekends during the academic year and one week during the summer in residence at George Mason University participating in workshops and seminars on the Austrian, Virginia, and Bloomington schools of political economy.
The total award of up to $10,000 includes a stipend and travel and lodging to attend colloquia hosted by the Mercatus Center. Fellowship winners are eligible to re-apply each year of their studies. Smith Fellows are also eligible to apply for conference and research support.
In order to apply to the Smith Fellowship, please click the “Apply Now” button and complete the online application. The online application includes:
- A 1-2 page cover letter explaining:
- Your graduate school career to date,
- Your research and your research interests,
- Your familiarity with the thinkers associated with the Austrian, Virginia, and Bloomington schools of political economy, and
- What you hope to get out of the program.
- A current resume/CV
- A few short answer questions
Application Deadline: March 15, 2018.
*Decisions regarding admission into the Adam Smith Fellowship program are made after the application deadline has passed.
If you have any questions, please email SmithFellowship@mercatus.gmu.edu.