Assignments are limited to a two-year period and mainly support the operational and policy work of Fund economists. Research Assistants in the RAP are hired on a wide geographical basis. They must leave the Fund at the end of their two-year appointments. All positions are located at IMF Headquarters in downtown Washington, D.C.
- Recent completion of a Bachelor’s degree in economics, computer science, statistics, finance, or math is required.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.5/4 (or equivalent for international diplomas) in both the principal field of study and in the overall program.
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision and be accountable for the accuracy of both data and programs.
- Proficiency in software applications such as Microsoft Office (specifically Excel and Word) and in packages such as Stata, EViews, and MATLAB.
- Please upload your unofficial/official transcripts verifying your current/final GPA in your undergraduate studies. Without uploading proof of GPA, your application will not be considered.
- Please provide us with any additional information (resume, recommendations, etc.) that might support your candidacy.
Research Assistant Program
The Research Assistant Program (RAP) is open to recently graduated BA students from leading universities with superior academic records who would like to gain useful work experience before pursuing further studies or moving on to other employment opportunities. RAP participants mainly support the operational and policy work of Fund economists.
RAP participants may be asked to:
- Research, collect and compile information
- Maintain and update quantitative and qualitative economic, financial, or statistical databases
- Process, consolidate, and transform data sets within and between databases using statistical and/or econometric techniques
- Evaluate economic, financial or statistical relationships in databases
- Analyze economic time series data
- Design systems to facilitate interfaces or to transfer data between external and in-house databases
- Recent completion of a Bachelor’s degree in economics, computer science, statistics, math, or business administration is required. Candidates pursuing or holding advanced degrees are not eligible for the RAP.
- Candidates should have at least a 3.5 GPA (cumulative) in both their principal field of study and in their overall program.
- Final academic transcripts verifying GPA requirement must be submitted prior to appointment.
Appointments are rotational and limited to two years and the Program participants are expected to leave the Fund at the end of the two-year period. We welcome applications from all geographical areas for the RAP.
Research Assistants meeting different qualification criteria can be hired outside the scope of the RAP. More information can be found under Research Assistants (Economics).